Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Exile From My Homeland

Exile From My Homeland
© Surazeus
2024 04 09

Driven from the garden where I was born 
by men who destroyed grand city I built, 
I wander waste land of my lonely heart 
on maze of signless roads that go nowhere 
in search for the river-fed Promised Land 
where I build haven for my family. 

Enraged at injustice of their attack 
invading land my ancestors found first, 
I roam bleak wilderness of my bruised heart 
that burns with aching flame of hopeless faith, 
poisoned with nostalgia for the lost past, 
knowing I can never more return home. 

Myth of creation my fathers composed, 
that proves our right to dwell safe on this land, 
defines fall for eating forbidden fruit 
through exile bearing relics of our faith 
to redemption earned by self-sacrifice 
as we build new city with crafting hands. 

Though my ancestors ever traveled west 
ten thousand years Scythia to Oregon 
on never-ending quest of bitter hope 
to escape greedy tyranny of kings, 
I can only build and guard paradise 
of this safe home till Death dissolves my soul. 

Exile from my homeland frustrates my heart 
with bitter ache of sorrow at my loss 
that sparks awake patriotic intent 
to focus attention of daily tasks 
on finding in vast wilderness of fear 
new fertile land to build home for my clan. 

For I would rather be Odysseus 
struggling to return from fruitless war 
to reclaim homeland from invading thieves, 
than fierce Achilles driven mad by rage 
to kill noble man protecting his home 
and destroy grand city built on bold hope. 

Yet I must become Aeneas the brave 
who leads his family over stormy seas 
from ancient noble city burned by greed 
to find lush land of fertile tree-thick vales 
where my bold descendants may thrive in peace 
to build new shining city on the hill. 

Though exiled from lost homeland of my heart 
by hostile invaders greedy for wealth, 
I turn my face into bright winds of change 
to wander far over mountains and seas 
so I can build new homeland with firm hands 
where my children may grow from heart of Earth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment