Friday, October 27, 2023

Lovely Red-Brick Home

Lovely Red-Brick Home
© Surazeus
2023 10 27

Today I bought a lovely red-brick home 
to dwell in shadow of green-acre wood 
in city of Athena where the Muse 
gives me lost lyre of Mercury to play 
enchanting tunes that woo beautiful Death 
with names of frightened children killed in war. 

No king on pyramid of one-eyed god 
shoots rockets to demolish my quaint house, 
so I sing to the dead in the graveyard 
underneath my window with aching heart 
so they will rise from restless sleep of fear 
to climb the windy mountain of lost hope. 

To flash unquenched defiance to the stars 
with spirit reconciled to fate of death 
I leap and sing in stark light of the moon 
with ironic quietude of calm faith, 
expressing passion to love dreamless world 
with knowledge I will disappear at death. 

Safe in brick walls of my new haven home, 
I will sing elegies the Muse dictates 
lamenting death of children who run scared 
in maze of bomb-shattered homes to escape 
angry men with guns who claim holy land 
as birthright from faceless man in the clouds. 

I wish my new home in green-acre wood 
could expand to nine hundred million rooms 
so every family on our spinning Earth, 
displaced by wars between gangs of dream thieves, 
can feast as friends together by warm hearth 
and share experiences in story-songs. 

If someday gangs of angry men with guns 
storm red-brick walls in castle of my home 
and claim this land I bought as theirs alone, 
I will journey, as my ancestors did, 
west ten thousand miles across the waste land 
to build new Heaven in Hell of lost dreams. 

From Scythia to Scotland to Massachusetts 
to Oregon my ancestors searched far 
beyond fallen walls in Garden of Eden 
to find safe homeland where they can live well, 
but their children continued quest for Heaven, 
leaving their parents buried by the road. 

My body has become home where I dwell, 
white glow of wisdom in green-acre wood 
where fairies and dryads dance in star light 
while I play lyre of Mercury with sass, 
for when the time comes for me to move on 
wherever I roam my heart is my home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment