Thursday, October 26, 2023

Dark Secrets I Conceal

Dark Secrets I Conceal
© Surazeus
2023 10 26

So I will lounge on leather couch and eat 
plantain chips while listening to sad jazz 
in direct violation of the state law 
designed to suppress my freedom of speech 
though I would rather drive the monster truck 
to crush police cars in the muddy field. 

While I type story of the angsty hero 
who dares defy the law of gravity, 
the black cat perched on my shoulder observes 
ships glide across purple waves of the sea 
where Aphrodite once rose from white froth 
so she could campaign for state senator. 

Aggressive laughter of the picture book 
misdirects attention of the lawmaker 
who stands with his wife and children in church 
to sing of Jesus in Garden of Skulls 
who plays chess with Satan to lose my soul 
till Grim Clown arrests him for psychic fraud. 

Though Ithuriel pokes my heart with his spear 
I remain stuck in mortal coil of flesh 
as if my brain is made of time-clock gears 
that record memories I experience 
in genes which I incarnate as my child 
who stares at me surprised that I am real. 

My unface reflected in silver grail 
reveals weird truths about my cosmic soul 
when I become fierce tyrant on the throne 
who rages against dying of the light 
in paranoid fear of the smiling girl 
who seems to know dark secrets I conceal. 

If she opens garden gate of my heart 
at just the right moment the moon explodes 
in silent fragments of snow on our skin, 
I will know without doubt of broken wheels 
she is the soul mate of my shadow self 
whose face I always see in the dark pool. 

Whose woods these are, I declare on the stage, 
you know are mine because I hold the gun 
that writes the laws, so I build every house 
on unmarked graves of natives without names 
whose ghosts emerge from television screen 
to scream beautiful melodies of faith. 

Why my heart bleeds black verses of weird spells 
I cannot explain to the rain-drenched hills 
who care not whether I might live or die, 
so I build model of Earth in my eye 
to prove I still possess freedom of speech 
when I defend the innocent from greed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment