Wednesday, February 27, 2019

As We Sleep Together

As We Sleep Together
© Surazeus
2019 02 27

Quiet sadness of twilight tingeing bones
blue with strangeness of waving guitar twangs
soothes transient ache of slow remembering
for each moment we are together close
as silence and death which binds are lone hearts
in spiral dance of empathy through whispers.

So close we are together on this globe,
yet the entire world bulges out between
our faces when we turn away to mute
clashing argument that entangles us
in convoluted contest about what
we could do to survive horror of death.

Exhausted by constant struggle against
threat of annihilation that hurls gloom
of silent despair, we sit under tree
of rotting apples full of wriggling worms
and listen to wind batter fragile leaves
when it explains why everything decays.

Heart beating fast as wind in clanking trees,
I sit still as stone throbbing river flow,
body still tense from memory of my actions
running through woods as I grip sharpened spear
to hunt deer forty winters of aggression,
now aching with weariness of my race.

Hunger drove me to kill swift animals
of lithe leaping beauty so I could roast
sweet flesh over crackling flames in twilight,
and feast to empower my body with heat
of pleasurable life, but now I look back
on winding path of my hunt with surprise.

I killed and ate so many animals,
which filled my body with aggressive force
to dominate landscape with my sharp will,
but now I wither and weaken from age,
instead of transforming into swift bird
so I can fly high among glowing clouds.

I cease strumming guitar to hear blue wind,
and float bodiless through immensity
of silent consciousness without my name,
for I disappear in dark nothingness
to become the last ray of light that glows
over distant mountain peak of lost joy.

I consumed wild spirits of animals
so they all wake inside my throbbing head,
aching to run swift along winding streams
and chase blustering wind to the sunless sea
where we become the dancing swirl of sand
whose laughter echoes into bleak moonlight.

I touch your emptiness with breath of hope
when I dip fragile hand, gashed by sharp rock,
in sparkling river so my singing blood
taints yellow sand with sorrow of my love
till I become shadow inside your eyes
when you return and touch me with soft words.

Kneeling together among wind-swept reeds,
we dip our hands in water of the world
and drink sweet sunlight to revive our hearts
with silent joy that we are still alive,
then I cuddle you in my warming arms,
to become moonlight as we sleep together.

No comments:

Post a Comment