Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Safe In The Parthenon

Safe In The Parthenon
© Surazeus
2023 03 28

The strangeness of how gold grass smiles at me 
startles my mind from timeless reverie 
to float in shining now eternally 
as all my memories swirl into one stream 
that encodes my soul with beautiful dream 
which all my nameless ancestors program. 

Yet I prefer lax repose of the slouch, 
lazy as Damocles on velvet couch 
with slacker attitude of the mind touch 
through imitation of the winding flow 
that rivers choose on their journey from snow 
as they meander to the sparkling sea. 

So in warm sunlight on Parnassus hill 
I roast strips of beef on hot temple grill 
while chatting with Despair about Free Will 
because, as mute soul lost in the new world, 
I hide sacred book of the cosmic herald 
from the dream tyrant who sneers on the threshold. 

For none can hear strange song of the skylark 
who leads war refugees to the state park 
where Cronus teaches them code of the quark 
that pulses at heart of our universe 
so we evade mockery of the god curse 
since Minerva keeps our souls in her purse. 

Awake before vast shadow of the well, 
I wait for Juturna, with crystal bell, 
to teach me secret of communal spell 
which conjures demon from heart of the human 
who charges us rent to live in his Heaven 
though I metamorph into the Moon Raven. 

Another angry boy, twisted with hate 
of toxic passion to control our fate, 
shoots people dead who hide behind the gate 
that cannot protect us in paradise 
because we refuse to pay karma price 
since Death always cheats us with loaded dice. 

Safe in the Parthenon, I write my goals 
that measure achievement of normal roles 
I play to admire beauty of young foals 
who whip their tales and prance in apple grove 
as hungry wolves hunt for the treasure trove 
that Plato hides as shadow in his cave. 

Because he has nothing worthwhile to say 
about desperate sorrow when people pray 
Cronus chooses to follow his own way 
recording history of humanity 
around how jesters prove insanity 
is diamond-studded crown of vanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment