Saturday, July 21, 2018

River Of Twinkling Stars

River Of Twinkling Stars
© Surazeus
2018 07 21

The sun-sparkling spray of the silver sea
wakes ancient eerie memories in my heart
that drove me from the mountain castle tower,
where my ancestors lived one thousand years,
blasted by cannon balls from English guns
when they subdued Scotland to their crown.

By ship I sailed to Boston to escape
prison chains of greed that cripple my hands
where I joined the army of Washington
to fight the revolution against George
then fell in love with the Cherokee girl
and joined her tribe traveling far out west.

Leaving behind lush Appalachian hills,
we traveled far beyond the wild frontier
and wander now in desolate land of sun
where the moon shines silver on sea of sand
and red mountains rise straight into the sky
where billions of stars shimmer in my eye.

How far away from Scotland I walk now,
dreaming of its silver mist at green dawn,
in nameless waste land where no humans roam
except this bonnie fool from Edinburgh,
thinking I should instead have gone to Rome
where emperors and popes have ruled the world.

My clothes were all tattered by the wild wind
so I wander naked in desert glow
till I wrestle the coyote at midnight
then roast its flesh sizzling over the fire,
and wear its skin so I become Coyote,
able to see beyond the veil of time.

I run in the shadows of the waste land
and I drink from the river of the mountain
then dance and chant spells in the pouring rain
that falls on my face only in my trance,
so I lie flat on the face of the world
and become the river of twinkling stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment