Thursday, April 19, 2018

Loneliness Of Her Fame

Loneliness Of Her Fame
© Surazeus
2018 04 19

The famous movie star, with her third eye
that beams lasers to melt statues of gold,
sits alone in lush garden by the pool,
while hundred million people go to work,
and reads the epic poem Paradise Lost
about Lucifer being cast out of Heaven
because he refused to bow to the king.

"I play characters, fictional or real,
based on people who existed in flesh
or were invented in the minds of writers,
while people film me playing those characters
that machines project on the silver screen
which people watch in movie theaters.
I am the person with no character
who plays so many different characters
that living people, who meet me face to face,
mistake me for the characters I play.
No one can see my genuine character
hiding shyly behind the mask of fame.
I am a ghost of light on the white wall,
a person who plays roles on silver screens,
but plays no real role in my own plain life,
and for this I am treated like a goddess
above mere mortals who must work to live.
Though they are real people who play themselves
they work hard to maintain society
but earn just enough to live day by day,
while I play people who do not exist,
reflecting the lives of people who do,
and yet I earn thousands of dollars more,
enough to eat well for a hundred years.
Yet I must never forget that I was born
daughter of a prostitute in a dance hall
and a traveling magician passing through,
conceived from their lust in a dressing room,
then abandoned on the steps of a church.
Adopted by the banker and his wife,
I grew up with stern affection and love,
allowed to nurture my talent for acting,
and now I am some famous movie star,
yet I still feel like the abandoned child
as I wander lost in this world of dreams."

The telephone rings so she answers it,
and replies after listening for a while.
"I would love to portray Queen Eleanor
of Aquitaine in the Lion in Winter.
Tell the director I am very honored
to be considered for this important role
along with the talented Katharine Hepburn.
Send the script and I will read it tomorrow."

The famous movie star, with her third eye
that sees bright angels in the empty sky,
gazes over the city of Los Angeles
that glitters gold in the blue evening dusk,
and sighs in the loneliness of her fame,
like Lucifer wandering wingless in Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment