Thursday, February 10, 2022

My Vagabond Heart

My Vagabond Heart
© Surazeus
2022 02 10

My vagabond heart refuses to wait 
for sorrow to transform this wretched world 
of random suffering from disease and war 
to sweet paradise where nothing goes wrong, 
so I escape dark maze of poetry gangs 
to walk in signless forests with mute owls. 

No conscious soul ever returns from death 
for, once the system of chemical functions, 
which generates the soul of consciousness, 
breaks down from disruption of the life spark, 
the animating soul of human thought 
dissipates into swirls of mindless dust. 

Pausing on the bridge over troubled waters, 
woven from rainbow sinews of despair, 
I gaze back at vast city maze of towers 
that shimmers gold in swirls of evening mist, 
and wonder about lives of faceless strangers 
doing their jobs like bees in honey hives. 

The giant airplane roaring among clouds, 
angelic wings of silver arrogance 
spread wide with stiff observance of blind laws, 
crashes into the bank in blaze of flames, 
erasing thousands of people from time, 
so brains with memories vanish to nothing. 

I wonder if any of those lost souls 
are strong enough to stand from smoking wreck 
and walk away from destruction of truth, 
people with whole lives of experience 
now appearing before me in their death 
as faceless mannequins of mindless gods. 

Climbing ancient stairs of dinosaur skulls, 
I walk through windy halls of Duino Castle 
to find the ghost of Orpheus by the hearth 
drinking wine with Seraphim in black suits, 
so I don leather cape Dracula gave me 
and carve names of the dead on granite walls. 

Breaking open door to the Secret Club, 
where laureate poets gather to gamble, 
the editor of the poetry journal 
shoots me in the back with critical praise, 
so I transform into the moon-eyed owl 
and fly in swirls with fierce Icarian wings. 

Falling nine days and nights from the Dream Tower, 
the wingless angel clutching cracked guitar 
falls from Heaven of the Poetry Elite 
to blast open cave of Hell for himself, 
so he sits by the fire of honest truth 
and sings in harmony with ocean waves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment