Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Skull Of Her Mother

Skull Of Her Mother
© Surazeus
2017 09 27

The girl with long gold hair and silver eyes
raises her head above the tall green grass.
"I am gold haze floating over dark hills
where mute trees watch me while I sleep and play.
The bright sun smiles like the skull of my mother
who watches over me from river stone."
Her slim white fingers caress her pale cheek
wet with dew that sparkles gold in dawn light.
"I wonder if this solid air I breathe
is formed from rays of sunlight from the sky.
I cannot see this air that fills my breast
but I can feel it when I blow it out
against my hand that tickles with delight,
and I can feel it brushing at my cheek
when the huge invisible mountain gods
blow wind down across the valley of pools
where every tree whispers my secret name."
Creeping through tall green grass on bended knees,
the young girl crouches at soft hissing sound,
and peers around to look for slithering snake,
but no bright-colored stripes flash in the green
of tufted herbs that sprout rainbow-bright blooms.
"My heart is beating wild with aching pain,
motivated by anxious fear of death.
This world is full of monsters who would strike
with vicious intent to devour my soul
so I must ever keep my eyes alert
with anxious fear to see their gleaming eyes
before they can attack me with sharp teeth
so I may avoid hungry hate of death.
I want to preserve this body of flesh
that maintains clear glow of my conscious will
so I may savor beauty of this world,
eating sweet fruit, breathing cool wind at dawn,
drinking thick liquid of the waterfall,
and holding my lover in gentle arms,
before death crushes my body to dust.
Like my mother created my young body
I want to create a young girl from my womb
so the soul of my kind mother, who lives
awake in my mind now, will live again
and remain in the dream of this weird world
after death crushes my body to dust."
Young girl arrives at large white stone that glows
in sunlight on the flowered river shore
where a white skull smiles like the morning sun.
Cradling the cracked skull to her heaving breast,
the long-haired girl wipes tears from her blue eyes.
"My mother always sang sweet melodies
while she pounded wheat germs into white flour
to bake sweet loaves of bread that fill my heart
with tender love of satisfying hope.
She never seemed to feel this anxious fear
that sparks my heart to beat wild as the stream
which gushes down the mountain after rain
while she gathered flowers among buzzing bees
or strolled along the river at sunrise
to fill baskets with berries, eggs, and nuts.
Sitting in peaceful joy on river stone
in blissful trust at kind benevolence
of nature, my mother never perceived
the yellow-striped snake slithering at her feet
that bit her thigh when she tread on its tail.
I turned away to watch blue butterfly
fluttering on the purple orchid bloom,
entranced by the beauty of its large wings,
but when I heard my mother scream in pain
dark terror of death struck at my soft heart,
so now my heart beats wild each time I hear
soft hissing of wind in the dancing wheat.
I leaped to her side when my mother fell
and cradled her head as she writhed in pain,
and I stared into the glow of her blue eyes
shimmering clear as the cloudless sky at dawn.
My heart beat fast with stark horror to see
life flicker out like flame snuffed by cold rain
that left her body, once so soft and warm,
stiff and cold as she dissolved to dry dust
that left bare skeleton glowing in moonlight.
How long I stared into the gaping void
of death that yawned from abyss of her eyes,
falling into the nothingness of loss.
Yet after her soul vanished in cold wind
and her body dissolved to dust, I found
myself still alive and awake with hope,
aching with desire to eat food and play.
My mother often ran around tall trees
and I chased her, laughing with carefree joy,
so now I run to chase ghost of her soul
that flashes in the memory of my eyes.
My mother is gone but I see her ghost
everywhere I go in sunlight and rain,
and in blueberries I still see her eyes."
Placing the skull back on the river stone,
the blue-eyed girl watches the river flow
while eating blueberries from the round tree.
"All things change within the bounds of their forms
like water flows between two solid shores."
The girl with long gold hair and silver eyes
closes her eyes and becomes the vast skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment